10 Protein-Packed Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day. It's evident when we skip breakfast the chances of overindulging at lunch, dinner, and snacks increases tremendously. In fact, those who eat breakfast consume fewer total calories during the day than non-breakfast eaters.
Generally, a healthy breakfast consists of the following:
Fruit or vegetable + whole grain + protein = healthy breakfast!
Often times, protein is the forgotten part of the equation, but it is one of the most important pieces. Adding some protein (about 10-20 grams) to breakfast can help reduce hunger AND keep you focused at work or school. See below for more information on protein content of foods.
Additional plant-based protein options:
· Wild rice (1 cup cooked, ~12 grams protein)
· Oats (1 cup cooked, ~10 grams protein)
· Wheat germ (2 Tbsp, ~4 grams protein)
· Hemp seeds (1-1/2 Tbsp, ~5 grams protein)
· Hemp protein powder (1/4 cup, ~14 grams protein)
Here are 10 protein-packed EASY breakfast ideas for your busy mornings:
1. Whole grain English muffin w/lean ham and swiss cheese; add a fruit to the side
2. Whole grain toast w/avocado spread topped with smoked salmon
3. Oatmeal w/peanut butter, chia or hemp seeds, and banana (or fruit of choice)
BONUS: make oatmeal with milk to add 8-10 g additional protein
4. Cottage cheese with fruit and a side of whole grain toast
5. Basic smoothie recipe:
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup milk
1-2 handfuls of spinach
1 cup fruit of choice
Bonus: can add 1-2 scoops of protein powder of choice
6. Layered parfait:
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup berries
1/2 cup granola (keep sugar per serving less than 10 g for your granola)
7. Breakfast burrito:
Scramble 2 eggs, 1/4 cup black beans, and 1/2 cup diced onions and peppers together. Add shredded cheese and salsa. Roll into a whole grain tortilla.
BONUS: Triple the recipe and freeze the other burritos for an easy protein packed breakfast you can heat in the microwave.
8. Bento Breakfast Box:
Invest in a bento box and fill it with easy, snack-type foods for your breakfast.
Add string cheese, nuts, grapes (or fruit of choice), and whole grain crackers.
9. Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole grain bread.
10. Boiled eggs and whole grain cereal w/berries and milk.
Looking for a fun recipe to try? Try these protein packed pear pancakes!
Having difficulty putting together a healthy meal plan that includes breakfast?